LAUC B Spring Assembly
April 30, 2014
Morrison Library, 8:30 – 9:00 am
Chair Lynn Jones called the meeting to order at 8:34 and mentioned that the LAUC B business meeting would be followed by the Cultural Diversity program.
I. Announcements and Chair’s Report (L. Jones)
1. Lynn announced that links to the LAUC committee reports have been sent out and that these would be posted on the web.
2. Lynn also noted that the Distinguished Librarian Award Committee and LAUC B conference committees have been formed. She mentioned there had only been one nomination and encouraged people to submit more, noting several people in LAUC have experience with the process.
3. Lisa Ngo spoke about the program committee and named the members. She expressed regrets for not being able to accept everyone. The working theme of the conference will be Open Access. The members of the committee are:
- David Eifler (co-chair)
- Lisa Ngo (co-chair)
- Margaret Phillips
- Joseph Cera
- Hilary Schiraldi
- Lydia Petersen
- Susan Powell
- Jeffery Loo
- Cody Hennesy
- Claude Potts
4. The LAUC-B Social Hour will be held on May 15 from 4-6 pm at the Faculty Club.
II. Secretary’s Report (J. Church)
Jim Church read the names of retirees and new hires. He thanked the retirees for their many years of devoted service. The retirees are:
- Bette Anton
- John Berry
- Wei Chi Poon
- Kai Stockenius
- Jill Woolums
The new members are:
- Erik Mitchell, June 10, 2013. Associate University Librarian, Director of Digital Initiatives & Collaborative Services and Director of NRLF
- Susan Powell, January 15, 2014. GIS & Maps Librarian.
- Jesse Silva, January 7, 2014. Political Science, Public Policy, and Government Documents Librarian.
- Samantha Teplitzky, March 3, 2014. Earth Sciences & Physical Sciences Librarian.
- Emily Vigor, October 1, 2013. Collections Archivist, Environmental Design Archives
- Chris Marino, March 3, 2014. Environmental Design Reference and Outreach Archivist, Environmental Design Archives.
III. Treasurer’s Report (L. Ngo)
Treasurer Lisa Ngo announced the current balance is approximately $94,000 and explained the new timing of the LAUC budget, which will now follow the fiscal year. She also noted the new amount for professional development funds, which is $900 per year. Lynn followed up and encouraged people to apply for funds.
VI. CAPA Chair’s Report (D. Jan)
Chair Debbie Jan thanked Kai Stockenius for serving and to Manuel Erviti for stepping in to fill the remainder of his term. She also noted the committee chaired by James Eason about the revised librarian review procedures.
Debbie then summarized the work of the committee. CAPA reviews position descriptions for openings in the Librarian series. Since November, CAPA has reviewed 7 new position announcements. The seven position descriptions reviewed are:
- Digital Archivist, The Bancroft Library
- Digital Services Librarian, Public Health Library
- Head, Reference and Research Services, The Bancroft Library
- Head of the Arts & Humanities Division
- Head of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Division
- Head of the Health Sciences and Life Sciences Division
- Head of the Social Sciences Division
CAPA also interviews all candidates for positions in the Librarian series to evaluate their potential for obtaining career status at Berkeley and to share information related to the Librarian review process. Since November, CAPA has conducted 15 interviews for the following five positions:
- Associate Librarian/Archivist, Environmental Design Archives, College of Environmental Design
- Digital Archivist, The Bancroft Library
- Earth Sciences & Physical Sciences Librarian
- Natural Sciences Librarian, Bioscience & Natural Resources Library
- Rare Books Librarian, The Bancroft Library
CAPA has been meeting weekly since February to review 32 academic reviews. Several Ad Hoc Committees were formed and all have finished their cases. Several cases are still outstanding.
V. Nominations and Elections Chair Report
Co-chair Brian Quigley announced the proposed slate of candidates:
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: I-Wei Wang
- Secretary: Hilary Schiraldi, Elliott Smith
- Library Representatives: Toshie Marra, Liladhar Pendse, Jesse Silva
- Affiliated Library Representative: Barbara Bohl
Brian then asked for other nominations. Hearing none the nominations carried. The ballot will be posted May 16 and should be completed by June 2.
VI. The meeting adjourned at 9:05 and was followed by the Cultural Diversity Program.